Demonstration Reservation RequestsIntroduction
A Demonstration Request is an advance notification to the City of Fort Collins for an individual or advocacy group seeking to organize a free speech activity (such as a rally, march, or demonstration) on public property or within the public right-of-way. For other special event requests, please return to the Special Event Home Page.
A City of Fort Collins Demonstration Reservation allows for coordination across City departments, including Fort Collins Police Services, to help ensure a positive experience for the advocacy group and the community, and to minimize potential conflicts with other previously scheduled events, rentals, groups and activities located at or near the same venue or route.
Demonstration Notice Required
Any individual or advocacy group desiring to conduct a demonstration or other free speech activity in the City, including on private property where the activity impacts a public right-of-way or adjacent public property use, shall file this Demonstration Reservation Request at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the free speech activity. Failure to provide such notice may result in restriction, relocation, or prohibition of the activity. (Fort Collins Municipal Code Sec. 23.5-4 Rev. 2-6-18).
Any individual or advocacy group organizing a demonstration more than twenty-four (24) hours in advance, which is expected to involve more than fifty (50) persons, or where the activity is expected to substantially impede or interfere with vehicular traffic or pedestrian use of any public right-of-way, is encouraged to contact the Special Event Coordinator as soon as practicable prior to the activity, to determine whether elements of such activity, are subject to a permit or conditions related to public safety.
This Demonstration Reservation Request process is not intended to limit any advocacy groups from exercising their First Amendment right to free speech. Its sole purpose is to improve City support for and coordination with advocacy groups.
Rules and Regulations
- No fee is required for the reservation
- Demonstration reservations are issued on a first-come, first-served basis
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on sidewalks, bike paths or turf areas
- No glass allowed in any park
- Destruction, damage or removal of any vegetation or defacement of public property is prohibited
- Events may not impede pedestrian access on sidewalks or traffic on multi-use paths.
- Permits for parades will be issued according to City of Fort Collins Municipal Code Sec. 23.5-3 Rev. 2-6-18
- Events must comply with Noise Regulations (Fort Collins Municipal Code Sec. 20-21)
- Events must comply with local, state and federal laws
The City encourages, but does not require, advocacy groups to obtain general liability insurance with minimum limits of $1 million per occurrence, and to provide a certificate of insurance naming the City of Fort Collins and its officers, employees and authorized volunteers as additionally insured parties.
How to Apply
Select the following option to proceed with a block party application.